|Sailor||2 Second Peak (Kts)||5 x 10 Second Average (Kts)||1 Hour (Kts)||Alpha Racing 500m (Kts)||Nautical Mile (Kts)||Distance Travelled (km)|
|Sammy the snail|
|Man Over Board|
|otts (4816km): |
Glory Holes, Australind, WA, AU
NW frontal conditions
Lightning and thunder
|Decrepit (45602km): |
Well that was interesting, but cold!
Toby and I had lots of very flat water and zip wind when we arrived at Fangys. I'd chosen to launch at the hook, as I thought I'd need big gear with a big fin.
I decided to go with two rigs, the 5.8 on the 48 with the 23 @ 40/60, and the 6.2 on the 53 with the 26 @ 45.
I'd just about got the smaller gear rigged, when the wind started to pick up, and pick up and pick up. Until boards, sails, mast extenders and anything else somewhat loose stated to dissapear downwind. Right then I wished I'd chosen Wamba St as the rigging spot. After the wind subsided to a safer strength I suggested to Toby that we shift camp. Toby hadn't actually got a mast up a sail, so he proceeded to tie his gear back on the roof, I threw my unrigged big stuff back in the wagon and woody arrived. He kindly offered to drive me back to my rig after I'd parked the wagon at Wamba St.
Best wind was tacking up to Wamba St, but once there had a couple of good runs, then wind started to drop on the way back in. I was groveling fairly slowly, when there was a big flash overhead and a second or so later a huge bang. I jumped straight off the board, and spent the next 20mins towing the gear back in, but no more bangs, and wind continually dying.Toby and Woody wisely stayed on the shore.
While we were freezing our bums off, Fangy arrived, then Johnski, then Firie, then 'ken. We all felt sure the wind would be back, especially as Johnski's wife said it was blowing back at their place, and the internet said there was plenty of wind at Mandurah.
I actually thought it was happening at one stage, and plugged the 5.8 into the 53. But once in the water it was obvious I was suffering from delusions.
After what felt like hours, and the visitors had left, Toby and I had almost derigged, the fin arrived and the wind started to pick back up, but not enough to entice any of us to contemplate going out.