Team East (Engl-E, Great Britain) - 2017-06-07
Sailor 2 Second Peak (Kts)5 x 10 Second Average (Kts)1 Hour (Kts)Alpha Racing 500m (Kts)Nautical Mile (Kts)Distance Travelled (km)
Peter Cutts
Stephen Squirrell
Ian Richards
Mike G
Lance Newbery
Ben Tilston
Jamie Bore
Tris Haskins
Rik Jones
Will Trossell
Steve Carter
Venga Boy
Peter Cutts (6269km):
407 days ago
1 categories

Nice sail at Point Clear - sunshine and wind 

Stephen Squirrell (18747km):
404 days ago
6 categories

Wednesday 7th June – Windsurf **** Portland – sunny, clouding over later, very windy!


Walk **** Around Portland Bill


F2 Ride 282, Tushingham Lightning 6.50m, 34 cm fin. Wind W, 25/35 mph


30.13 kt. max., 28.50 kt. ave., 22.85 kt. mile, 57.40 km, 19.63 kt. alpha, 18.08 kt hr.


Despite the wind we had a good night in our secluded spot overlooking Kimmeridge Bay, sunny start but the lane was busy with what looked like a surface dressing gang with tarmac lorries arriving which was a tight fit on a small road! After breakfast, we headed off to Weymouth up over the beautiful sheep covered hills, we soon came across our first obstacle of the day when the road was blocked off because it is a huge army live firing range for tanks and we had to turn back towards Wareham past a huge house in amazing parklands. We ended up in Lulworth but decided against visiting the Cove today as too breezy so continued to a nice sounding village of Wool which was slightly disappointing:( We then had to by-pass Weymouth to get to Portland but with the tide low there were no windsurfers out  We crossed Chesil Bank and up the steep hill to Portland Bill which was much further than we remembered and quite busy for a dead-end! It was well worth the trip as it is wonderful here with the red and white lighthouse with wild blue water everywhere as the strong tide creates a maelstrom of white water, Jono Dunnet must have been nuts to windsurf past here!

The large carpark was fairly empty and only £1 for an hour which was plenty of time to explore. First a few pics of the lighthouse set off perfectly against the clear blue sky. Turning left Mag sat by the huge arched rock watching the waves crash ashore. Then over to the first of a couple of old cranes used to launch small fishing boats, crazy idea if you ask me, obsolete now as it is so dangerous! But it made a great picture and Mag even spotted a seal.

Back in the van we return to a free carpark with amazing views down to Portland Harbour and see the Olympic Rings but again no overnight parking, it is a bit of a theme in these parts making ‘wild camping, a challenge!

By the time we reach the harbour several are out on the water but the tide still looks low to me? We park in the carpark at the Weymouth end where a gale nearly took our van car door off when it was very new:( We managed to get a spot at the end near where the kiters rig with great views down the harbour and Mag got a ticket for only £3:) The local freeride sailors seem to be rigging small 4.5 to 5.5 so for the third day running I have no choice but to go for the 6.5. Mag made a sandwich and I got on the water at 12.45, wading a long way offshore to find water deep enough to sail. With a 38cm. fin in I was very nervous most of the session as it is very shallow over nearly the entire sailing area! I was hoping to get a 30 kt average and a nice hour so I had my stopwatch running. I sailed further from the bank in hopefully deeper water but it was very bumpy although it was great fun running down the swells, you often came across clumps of weed showing which made you nervous at 27/28 kts so it was not going to be a fast day, it just seemed fast in the swell! I tried for several mile runs but I didn’t go far enough and you have to start right in the OTC launch area too. It was also very shallow on the Weymouth side and I did grind out here and was lucky not to lose my fin. Also gybing was not great to start with as you got bumped out while turning and going for an hour after two full on days windsurfing is not the best of ideas.

After an hour and a half I returned to the van to see a kiter laying on the beach in some discomfort after injuring his leg while jumping and the ambulance arrived as I had my last sandwich, apparently the helicopter was busy which I thought to be a little over the top! I changed down a fin size and carried on as you could now sail closer to the shore in the flatter water. Mag said the poor kite surfer was really groaning in pain as they cut his wetsuit off:(  She could hear him from inside the ambulance!  The speeds improved a little with a couple of 30 kt runs as did the gybing, I then met Facebook friend Norman Petty and we had some nice chats out on the water and he said the wind was far too square to be fast and you had to bear off into the chop which was interesting!

Knackered I returned to the van for a cuppa and apple puff with Norman sailing over for a chat before packing up in the gloom with the sun long gone:(

We find a supermarket to stock up with goodies and diesel before returning to our spot near Kimmeridge Bay for the night. We had a delicious steak and ale pie, mashed potatoes and beans followed by cherry pie with clotted cream, we know how to live!

I think the wind continues, maybe with rain but after three days in a row sailing in winds of over 30 kts with a 6.5 I have had enough and we need to see new Grandson, the gorgeous Arlo George again so will be heading back towards Surrey tomorrow:)